Rolling Thunder Forums

Game 77

Glamdring

You must be in Cairns are ya?

close, but that would be closer to 1900kms

But there is no winter here none the less, just the way I like it.

Were you ever in the Ozzie game?

Paul

• Replies 852
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its time to throw myself off a bridge when you start talking about the weather, thats an English past-time and I hate it  :cheers:

Now back to Bogan, Meaty what does it mean then, i got the translation from Wikipdeia  :wacko:  :blink:  :o

G'Day Spart

It means:

"Bogan is Australian (especially teenage) slang for someone who is not `with it' in terms of behaviour and appearance, someone who is 'not us'; hence, someone horrible, contemptible. "

It's me to a 'T' don't you think?

Paul

Im gonna have to copy what Wiki says....

Bogan (pronounced to rhyme with slogan) is an Australian and New Zealand English slang term, at times derogatory, for a white working-class person, particularly a young male. Female adherents of the stereotype do exist, albeit with somewhat different, gender-specific characteristics.

Any discussion of the meaning of the term is likely to be controversial. Australians tend to have an image of their country as culturally egalitarian; by contrast, Britain and the United States are often stereotyped in Australia as obsessed with cultural and economic class respectively. The presence of an insulting stereotype for poor people is obviously in conflict with this self-image.

Like the British term chav and the American term white trash, the term is supposedly based on behaviour rather than class alone. It may be contrasted to the term 'povvo', which assumes that poverty as such is worthy of insult.

A person who uses the insult may draw a distinction between bogans, and more 'respectable' working class people.

However, only people who are perceived to be working class are called bogans. A person from a comfortable background who is violent, anti-social and unintelligent may well be derided and insulted, but not by being called a bogan. They may be told they are acting like a bogan, but not that they actually are one.

Further, the stereotype assumes a correlation between subcultural practices of particular working-class people (eg style of dress, accent, and musical tastes), and anti-social behaviour. It should thus be considered a slur.

The term, and the attendant stereotype, are far more acceptable in Australian culture than equivalent slurs. A person who used the term in the media, for example, would be unlikely to face similar consequences to if they had used a term such as nigger or kike. The popular Australian TV comedy Kath and Kim derived much of its humour from this stereotype. A TV comedy based on equivalent stereotypes of Aboriginal people, for example, would have been highly unlikely to be aired.

I actually like the above refference to musical taste, could this mean country music

It goes on to say....

The use of the word "bogan" as an insult originated in Melbourne, to describe people of the working class. Then the character Kylie Mole on the famed Australian television program The Comedy Company popularised the term as an insult for any friend she didn't like, and by 1991, the word was in the national dictionary project.

There are actually places in Western New South Wales that have "Bogan" in their name, including Bogan Shire, the Bogan River and the rural village of Bogan Gate. Despite the fact that their remote location fits some of the aspects of the stereotype, these places are not regarded as the source of the term. It is more likely that the sound of the word fits the humourous aspects of the stereotype rather than the people of this area being the epitome of bogans.

I hope this finaly clears up the understanding of the word Bogan :o

The Prime Minister of Great Britain does not accept responsability for the content above, it is purely plagerised from another and if any nation declares war because of it then they are silly White Trash Bogan Chavs and will be sent to coventry. :cheers:

Im gonna have to copy what Wiki says....

Bogan (pronounced to rhyme with slogan) is an Australian and New Zealand English slang term, at times derogatory, for a white working-class person, particularly a young male. Female adherents of the stereotype do exist, albeit with somewhat different, gender-specific characteristics.

Any discussion of the meaning of the term is likely to be controversial. Australians tend to have an image of their country as culturally egalitarian; by contrast, Britain and the United States are often stereotyped in Australia as obsessed with cultural and economic class respectively. The presence of an insulting stereotype for poor people is obviously in conflict with this self-image.

Like the British term chav and the American term white trash, the term is supposedly based on behaviour rather than class alone. It may be contrasted to the term 'povvo', which assumes that poverty as such is worthy of insult.

A person who uses the insult may draw a distinction between bogans, and more 'respectable' working class people.

However, only people who are perceived to be working class are called bogans. A person from a comfortable background who is violent, anti-social and unintelligent may well be derided and insulted, but not by being called a bogan. They may be told they are acting like a bogan, but not that they actually are one.

Further, the stereotype assumes a correlation between subcultural practices of particular working-class people (eg style of dress, accent, and musical tastes), and anti-social behaviour. It should thus be considered a slur.

The term, and the attendant stereotype, are far more acceptable in Australian culture than equivalent slurs. A person who used the term in the media, for example, would be unlikely to face similar consequences to if they had used a term such as nigger or kike. The popular Australian TV comedy Kath and Kim derived much of its humour from this stereotype. A TV comedy based on equivalent stereotypes of Aboriginal people, for example, would have been highly unlikely to be aired.

I actually like the above refference to musical taste, could this mean country music

It goes on to say....

The use of the word "bogan" as an insult originated in Melbourne, to describe people of the working class. Then the character Kylie Mole on the famed Australian television program The Comedy Company popularised the term as an insult for any friend she didn't like, and by 1991, the word was in the national dictionary project.

There are actually places in Western New South Wales that have "Bogan" in their name, including Bogan Shire, the Bogan River and the rural village of Bogan Gate. Despite the fact that their remote location fits some of the aspects of the stereotype, these places are not regarded as the source of the term. It is more likely that the sound of the word fits the humourous aspects of the stereotype rather than the people of this area being the epitome of bogans.

I hope this finaly clears up the understanding of the word Bogan   :o

The Prime Minister of Great Britain does not accept responsability for the content above, it is purely plagerised from another and if any nation declares war because of it then they are silly White Trash Bogan Chavs and will be sent to coventry.  :cheers:

I wont be declaring war over this comment.

Any compliment is better than no compliment when you get to my state of uglyness.

Premier Paul

• 2 weeks later...

so are we going to get back to the game or will this keep being an english class on what words mean :o . i get enough of this in school and realy do not want to read this stuff on my summer break <_< .

the mole :angry2:

so are we going to get back to the game or will this keep being an english class on what words mean :o . i get enough of this in school and realy do not want to read this stuff on my summer break <_< .

Way t go Mole

Premier

Yes back to the matter in hand.... Have a guess what my portugeese puppet. I just got my turn back and we are no longer allies. Now can you figure out what comes next my little green muppet? Eh?

Yes you guessed it - WAR!!!!!

Throw another puppet on the barbie shiela :angry2:

Keep your eye on the coast, you will see my fleets sail past your provinces but will you know where they will land? NOOOOOOOOO

Will you see me bomb your cities? NOOOOOOOOOO

Will you understand the wrath of the English? NOOOOOOO

Will you ever understand English? Errr NO!

Batten down the hatches, splice the main brace, the BRITS are here :)

Yes back to the matter in hand.... Have a guess what my portugeese puppet. I just got my turn back and we are no longer allies. Now can you figure out what comes next my little green muppet? Eh?

Throw another puppet on the barbie shiela  :)

Keep your eye on the coast, you will see my fleets sail past your provinces but will you know where they will land? NOOOOOOOOO

Batten down the hatches, splice the  main brace, the BRITS are here  :thumbsup:

Bring it on!

And I thought we were friends :angry2:

What now???

I'm gonna haf t builb LDB's in my provances,

Yeh! That'll stop him. :blink:

You're so funny Spart

You say I don't understand English then you extra o's in NO.

What a Dodo.

I must warn you though.

If you pick on a poor little innocent country like mine you will have to answer to the Frogs.

So be warned this is not going to be the push over you think it will be.

Premier

so are we going to get back to the game or will this keep being an english class on what words mean :thumbsup: . i get enough of this in school and realy do not want to read this stuff on my summer break :) .

Way t go Mole

Premier

Mole

You and your rhetoric.

Now look what you've done.

You stirred up Spart so much he's attacking me.

I hope you're happy.

You haf t learn to keep quiet or I will destroy your little empire.

:blink: Sorry got carried away there.

I get angry when my friends turn on me like this and it's all down to you.

You watch CD Ernst will be next putin in his two bobs worth,

You happy Now, I hope so.

You know who. Yes the Premier

Throw another puppet on the barbie shiela  :blink:

Batten down the hatches, splice the  main brace, the BRITS are here  :drunk:

Bring it on!

And I thought we were friends :angry2:

What now???

I'm gonna haf t builb LDB's in my provances,

Yeh! That'll stop him. :blink:

You're so funny Spart

You say I don't understand English then you extra o's in NO.

What a Dodo.

I must warn you though.

If you pick on a poor little innocent country like mine you will have to answer to the Frogs.

So be warned this is not going to be the push over you think it will be.

Premier

Dodo????? dont you mean DODOHHHHHHHH!!!!

What a Muppet :):thumbsup:

I have no quarrel with the Frogs, joining with you is not the action of a reasonable nation. I think you will find they will have been stringing you along just to keep you happy. Dont you think he knows that once you have control over the innocent people of Spain you will have no other choice but to export your form of democracy into France? My form of democracy can be exported anywhere but i feel the most need is in Portugal.

Anyway my Dads bigger than your Dad and ees gonna beat your Dad up, hes called the US of A, you forgot about him did'nt you :taz:

Hey Spart,

Should I send you the alliance now? :drunk:

What do you want your bounty to consist of? :blink:

Will it be 4 or 5 turns until xLisbon falls :angry2:

One more thing......... :thumbsup:

THANK YOU for getting rid of Mosquito Paul!!!! :)

Hey Spart,

Should I send you the alliance now? :drunk:

What do you want your bounty to consist of? :taz:

Will it be 4 or 5 turns until xLisbon falls  :angry2:

One more thing......... :blink:

THANK YOU for getting rid of Mosquito Paul!!!! :)

Don't count your chickens boys. It ain't over till the fat lady sings.

I have recruited a force you will never be able to conquer.

The Wiggles have volunteered to fight for my nation. :blink:

Soon as we get them to stand still long enough we'll tell them what we want. :drunk:

Spart has Ireland and Iceland running out of his country and lies the weak link. :cheers:

Spart broke his pact with me now within 4 turns you all think it's over. :blink:

I'd like to see that! :thumbsup:

The Premier of World Domination

Now we've got the Wiggles

Spart a "Dodo" is a prehistoric big fat dumb extinct bird.

Ya Dodo

Oh no not the Wiggles, I guess we can handle that just as long as you dont send in Wags the Dog and Captain Feathersword.

Now let me just recap here - You say its not over till the Fat Lady sings? does this imply your a big fat lady? and when you say a "Dodo" is a prehistoric big fat dumb extinct bird are you talking about the same thing.

So what your realy saying is that Premier Paul is a Big Fat Dumb Prehistoric Lady and not a muppet as we had all previously thought. :angry2:

Oh no not the Wiggles, I guess we can handle that just as long as you dont send in Wags the Dog and Captain Feathersword.

Now let me just recap here - You say its not over till the Fat Lady sings? does this imply your a big fat lady? and when you say a "Dodo" is a prehistoric big fat dumb extinct bird are you talking about the same thing.

So what your realy saying is that Premier Paul is a Big Fat Dumb Prehistoric Lady and not a muppet as we had all previously thought.  :angry2:

Spart

There is no putting it over you.

You are just too clever for my brain.

I am too sexy for my shirt.

It'll be good to have some competion I suppose you wont be able to take my little nation on without the help of Iceland,Ireland and USA.

If you do you could well win the bet.

CD Ernst will owe you then.

He will reneg though and you would have bankrupted your country for nothing.

The Premier come Muppet now Dodo.