Rolling Thunder Forums

Game 87

Guest Spongebob

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The area off the west coast of Germany is about to be the site of some huge naval battles. Sad that the RN battle fleet only found subs, and did not find the big BS fleet, but the subs found the big fleet. Oh well, we will find them eventually, and see how they like us then.

Which fleet will the Royal Navy be fighting?

The area off the west coast of Germany is about to be the site of some huge naval battles. Sad that the RN battle fleet only found subs, and did not find the big BS fleet, but the subs found the big fleet. Oh well, we will find them eventually, and see how they like us then.

We Persians too are always interested in juicy naval battle reports. The port of xBandar Abbas is busy with repair men working on the last Persian Marat, but at the moment they still not dare to risk provoking the mighty Nizwanian air force. The ship still needs some extra ant-aircraft artillery, engine power, deck armor, decent fire control, a fresh coat of paint and half of it's crew. And we are waiting for the moment that RTG releases the new Techs, among which we hope are an Archangelsk class BB, a Sovietsky Sojuz class BB and a Marat 44!

We Persians too are always interested in juicy naval battle reports. The port of xBandar Abbas is busy with repair men working on the last Persian Marat, but at the moment they still not dare to risk provoking the mighty Nizwanian air force. The ship still needs some extra ant-aircraft artillery, engine power, deck armor, decent fire control, a fresh coat of paint and half of it's crew. And we are waiting for the moment that RTG releases the new Techs, among which we hope are an Archangelsk class BB, a Sovietsky Sojuz class BB and a Marat 44!

Why would you hope for an old outdated British battleship, a never finished Russian battleship with inferior armor or a redesign of a redesign of a renamed 1914 Russian BS (or better: the beautiful Persian glass bottomed boats)? Whichever boat you could build, they would be destroyed by the leftovers of the Nizwan air command anyway.

Why would you hope for an old outdated British battleship, a never finished Russian battleship with inferior armor or a redesign of a redesign of a renamed 1914 Russian BS (or better: the beautiful Persian glass bottomed boats)? Whichever boat you could build, they would be destroyed by the leftovers of the Nizwan air command anyway.

Well, maybe if I build enough of them one will stay afloat!

A few years ago I was part of a discussion on the alternate warships forum and something like this came up

marat43.png

I bring you the Marat 43!

- Remove 2 triple 11"towers, old casemate guns and torpedo blisters (as Kurassier has no Torpedo bombers)

- Remove extra provisions for ice breaking operations (this is the Persian gulf, you know) and torpedo's

- Install extra deck armor and subdivision.

- Install extra Oerlikon and Bofors AAA.

- Install extra multi-angle AAA range finders and fire directors

- Install extra machinery

- Hire some American crew.

A few years ago I was part of a discussion on the alternate warships forum and something like this came up

marat43.png

- Remove 2 triple 11"towers, old casemate guns and torpedo blisters (as Kurassier has no Torpedo bombers)

- Remove extra provisions for ice breaking operations (this is the Persian gulf, you know) and torpedo's

Why not dual purpose guns instead? And removing the torpedo blisters? Kurassier might have PT boats, destroyers and submarines hidden away somewhere. More secondary firepower might work. And better install new machinery, instead of just added machinery, more speed is vital. But you have now converted the only battleship the Russian might have to a large cruiser.

marat43.png

Why not dual purpose guns instead? And removing the torpedo blisters? Kurassier might have PT boats, destroyers and submarines hidden away somewhere. More secondary firepower might work. And better install new machinery, instead of just added machinery, more speed is vital. But you have now converted the only battleship the Russian might have to a large cruiser.

At the moment his fleet does not scare me so much.

Actually I was thinking of your new battlefleet taking on the US and Canadian fleet which are bound to appear near our (OK, mine) shores in the future. Or shall we leave it up to the British Royal Navy to deal with them? We could always ask Mark to park his fleet near Gibraltar.... :woohoo:

Or maybe I should start expanding my fleet.

Actually I was thinking of your new battlefleet taking on the US and Canadian fleet which are bound to appear near our (OK, mine) shores in the future. Or shall we leave it up to the British Royal Navy to deal with them? We could always ask Mark to park his fleet near Gibraltar.... :woohoo:

Its the Hungarian Navy you should be worried about. Once I make it to the North Sea of course :cheers:

Its the Hungarian Navy you should be worried about. Once I make it to the North Sea of course :cheers:

My navy is equal in size to the Hungarian navy, but much more experienced. :cheers:

I'd love to see you build and operate your fleet beneath the shadow of the British air force.

Dont tell the brits but I already have a navy, its currently sailing by night past the American and Canadian fleets around the Iberian peninsular and I will strike fear into the Royal Navy upon my arrival in their rear :woohoo:

Well, a small mistake on my part allowed a lot of ships to escape, but it will not happen again. There are several large navies out there with bad intent. The Poles and Baltic States both have fleets with upwards of a dozen Graf Spee's and Bismarcks, the Norwegians, though they have lost several Prince of Wales to the RAF, have a few large fleets running around. BS and Norway both have invasion fleets, though the BS Seibel Ferry's sink when put in water, I am told. In addition, there are at least 100 enemy subs, (well there were anyway, a few less now).

I can think of few things more fun than a Hungarian fleet showing up in the channel.

Sorry Falco, the RN is going to be busy in home waters for the forseeable future, so Gibralter will have to be left to my erstwhile enemies from the west. They are no doubt quite capable of handling that area.

Well, a small mistake on my part allowed a lot of ships to escape, but it will not happen again. There are several large navies out there with bad intent. The Poles and Baltic States both have fleets with upwards of a dozen Graf Spee's and Bismarcks, the Norwegians, though they have lost several Prince of Wales to the RAF, have a few large fleets running around. BS and Norway both have invasion fleets, though the BS Seibel Ferry's sink when put in water, I am told. In addition, there are at least 100 enemy subs, (well there were anyway, a few less now).

I can think of few things more fun than a Hungarian fleet showing up in the channel.

Sorry Falco, the RN is going to be busy in home waters for the forseeable future, so Gibralter will have to be left to my erstwhile enemies from the west. They are no doubt quite capable of handling that area.

I can't say for sure who will engage the RN first as attempts last turn to "exchange greetings" were unsuccessful, but chances are that some excellent fishing reefs will be created around the remains of whatever ships end up with negative buoyancy at the end of our meetings.

(And so far only 2 significant Norwegian losses have occurred and that due to an unfortunate miscommunication that caused the Norwegian fighter command to participate in the annual Herring Festival instead of patrolling the seas as is usually (and currently) the case.)

Anyway, I will be happy to spread the news of coalition naval successes far and wide to accomodate the desires of the landlocked and otherwise jealous non-naval powers... as I am sure Marklen will be happy to spread the news of any (hopefully rare) British naval successes...

Should actually be a very interesting phase of operations coming up. The continent is largely toast for the British (though some tough fights and determined resistance is taken as a given based on past performance), but that is hardly the end of the story. I anticipate stealing a line from Churchill when the continent is secured along the lines of, "It is not the beginning of the end, but is the end of the beginning." Lots of fun still to come for participants and the popcorn eating audience for the coming attractions.

Anyway, I will be happy to spread the news of coalition naval successes far and wide to accomodate the desires of the landlocked and otherwise jealous non-naval powers... as I am sure Marklen will be happy to spread the news of any (hopefully rare) British naval successes...

Should actually be a very interesting phase of operations coming up. The continent is largely toast for the British (though some tough fights and determined resistance is taken as a given based on past performance), but that is hardly the end of the story. I anticipate stealing a line from Churchill when the continent is secured along the lines of, "It is not the beginning of the end, but is the end of the beginning." Lots of fun still to come for participants and the popcorn eating audience for the coming attractions.

*** Settling down in his nice soft chair, changing chair position to lounge mode (feet rest coming up) ***

Cheese platter on the side table <check>, sigar lit <check>, port in glass, bottle full <check>. Bring on the show!

:alien2: