Rolling Thunder Forums

Game 87

Guest Spongebob

I wont apologise for signing deals that have allowed many more players to remain in the game, that have allowed the balance to remain reasonably constant and for most alowed game 87 to be a great game.

.... So we have you to thank for 87 being a great game? But you have a point. The balance is 2:1 against us and it has been for some time now. You claim the honor of keeping that balance the way it is. Well, on behalf of the MEA: Thank you. Without you, we would surely lose.

Wish I could get some of that 2 on 1 action......for now, I'll have to live with the 7 or 8 on 2 that we've been facing.

On the note of diplomacy....I agree that it is a key aspect of the game, but that being said, one of the weaknesses of victory is a very small player base. Many groups join multiple games together, and the same groups form in every game. That has nothing to do with diplomatic skill....more about who you know or who you joined with. There are very few players who end up with a different TA block, or even one or two different TA's every game.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys are doing great 8 onto 2, I would be proud of that. I must say that I have never held a TA witn any of the ones I am currently TAed to. I would hope in future games to kick some of my current TAs butts. Especially Nico and Erik who stole Switzerland from me :ninja:

On the note of diplomacy....I agree that it is a key aspect of the game, but that being said, one of the weaknesses of victory is a very small player base. Many groups join multiple games together, and the same groups form in every game. That has nothing to do with diplomatic skill....more about who you know or who you joined with. There are very few players who end up with a different TA block, or even one or two different TA's every game.

While I will agree that there is a SMALL group of players who will only join a game as a team, I find that the larger group of players will make political agreements of convenience. Most are willing to work with those close to them in games. In the games that I am currently playing, my TA blocks across 5 games (one game I don't have any TA's) there are only two games in which I have common TA's. My game 90 TA block has one similar TA's from game 85 and one from 91 ~ & it is not the same person. The group I am working with in game 87, I have never worked with before, actually we were at war in game 85 until mid-game.

So, I don't know why you have so many problems making friends in the game, maybe it's just you?

We started this game with a collective setup of five, as three of us had never played a game of Victory before.

(well, it originally was a setup for three of us, the other two joined when it became clear there were available positions close by)

At that moment we did not know anyone in the game, so allying a RL friend has some advantages.

If and when I enter in another game I will base my choice of allies on my position and the reputation of the other players.

Playing Victory for over two years has given me a little insight in who I can trust and what I can expect, so it is time to risk a single setup and see were it ends.

I agree that there are groups of players (friends or relatives) that when you see one, you expect to see the others, that is certainly natural to play a two or 3 year game with someone you know. I, for one, join most games by myself (which is has been said by a friend that means I am either brave or stupid ) and then make TAs based upon the factors in that game. Of course that may be why I lost as UAE in this game.... :blush: Now, I will agree that I am more likely to trust certain players over others, based upon past experience. In 87 I am at war with someone I am a TA of in another game. Actually, I am in 86, 87, 89, 90, 91 and 92 at the moment, and in only one of them did I sign up with someone else. :beer:

. Actually, I am in 86, 87, 89, 90, 91 and 92 at the moment, and in only one of them did I sign up with someone else. :beer:

We are humbly honored, oh Great Khan! -_-

But six games... how do people find time to play six games and still keep all the politics and planning apart?!? :alien2:

. Actually, I am in 86, 87, 89, 90, 91 and 92 at the moment, and in only one of them did I sign up with someone else. :beer:

But six games... how do people find time to play six games and still keep all the politics and planning apart?!? :alien2:

Organization and secretaries.

What planning? :rolleyes: Just point your tank at the enemy and drive!!! :explode:

What planning? :rolleyes: Just point your tank at the enemy and drive!!! :explode:

Hmmm, which game is this? O yeah, please do! Contrary to earlier messages, we welcome you into Western Trans Jordan. Please cross the border with all your troops, the tea is ready to be served to all.

, we welcome you into Western Trans Jordan. Please cross the border with all your troops, the tea is ready to be served to all.

So, Western Trans Jordan, that would be Tel Aviv right? :rolleyes:

He is a lawyer Mickey, he has secretaries do the work, then he signs it and charges $300 per hour for the secretaries time!

I am in 3 games currently, with only 1 TA that crosses over, in just 2 games. I like to join alone, and see what happens, but also am not opposed to joining a team, especially a team of guys I have not fought with before, which is the case in both 91 and 92. In 86, I am just going it alone.

, we welcome you into Western Trans Jordan. Please cross the border with all your troops, the tea is ready to be served to all.

So, Western Trans Jordan, that would be Tel Aviv right? :rolleyes:

Yeah lawyer indeed, twisting words, finding truths that don't exist. Let me say it to you in words that even you will understand: Cross border between Zarzis and Zwara with armies, we invite you all, commanders and soldiers alike, for very hot tea!

Yeah lawyer indeed, twisting words, finding truths that don't exist. Let me say it to you in words that even you will understand: Cross border between Zarzis and Zwara with armies, we invite you all, commanders and soldiers alike, for very hot tea!

Kurassier a Lawyer? Is that a bad thing? I like him already!

You teamed up with a politician, Falco!

As far as public esteem goes, that is even worse.

Wish I could get some of that 2 on 1 action......for now, I'll have to live with the 7 or 8 on 2 that we've been facing.

I disagree. At least, in this stage of the game. If you start the game neighbouring a pre-formed TA block, yes then you're pretty much screwed. And even then, good players can certainly turn the tide. Our victory against SA and UAE was as much the result of our aggressiveness, luck, and lack of resolve of the enemy as the odds (which were only 3:2, with TJ fighting Egypt 1:1 and Turkey building concrete against the inevitable Balkan invasion).

But after turn 10 or 20 that influence is pretty much gone. Alliances have been formed and the flow of the game has been decided. The West European Alliance lost for a big part BECAUSE they were such a powerful, initially succesful block. That drew all enemies against them. And at the same time Hungary acted as the hinch, connecting the Balkan and North Europe Alliances. That was the deciding factor in this game and is IMO the biggest diplomatic succes that can be be achieved in the game and only by a solo (or at most duo) player.

So, yes, diplomacy plays a big bart in the game, but, aside from giving you a better chance to survive the first 10 turns (which is fairly valuable in it's own end), it is IMO more harmful than helpful to sign up as a pre-formed block.