Rolling Thunder Forums

Game 87

Guest Spongebob

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those not in the action, let's review the situation.

For months, the dark forces from the east have been marching inexorably west, forcing the free peoples of central Europe under their evil jackboot.

Two Hungarian armies from the south, two Polish armies from the east, and two Baltic States armies from the north have been slowly rolling forward in a giant three pronged pincer movement against 1 and 1/2 armies of Great Britain. Despite their great superiority in numbers, they have taken no chances, and the most compelling tactic they have used is Polands consistent delaying until right before the British are due to run, like that is going to have some value. Yet in the eastern propaganda, what we hear, is despite a 4 to 1 numerical advantage on their part, the British are cowardly because they will not come out and fight.

There are some other factors in play here also. The Finns have tried to help with air power, and now the Austrians have decided to attack with a full panzer army, perhaps instilling some backbone into Austria's allies.

One factor in Britain's favor is total air superiority, though the Poles have tried to minimize that by taking Alsfeld with phantom armies. In the past three turns, Britain has more than 8000 air kills, virtually all of them over Alsfeld. The minimal fighters of the eastern bloc, other than Poland, have been of no value.

We now face roughly 110 divisions, with fewer than 30, but Britain is used to standing alone. Hungary took the city of Prague on turn 20, and on turn 29, despite not facing a single division, has already taken the cities of Coburg and Kronach, yet he does not get my reference to McClellan. Poland took Leipzig and Berlin on turn 19, yet have advanced no further than Erfurt in the 10 turns since. Perhaps they were waiting for Baltic States to conquer northern Germany against virtually no opposition from Denmark?

Now we shall see what they are all made of. If their 4 to 1 advantage is enough.

For months, the dark forces from the east have been marching inexorably west, forcing the free peoples of central Europe under their evil jackboot.

Two Hungarian armies from the south, two Polish armies from the east, and two Baltic States armies from the north have been slowly rolling forward in a giant three pronged pincer movement against 1 and 1/2 armies of Great Britain. Despite their great superiority in numbers, they have taken no chances, and the most compelling tactic they have used is Polands consistent delaying until right before the British are due to run, like that is going to have some value. Yet in the eastern propaganda, what we hear, is despite a 4 to 1 numerical advantage on their part, the British are cowardly because they will not come out and fight.

There are some other factors in play here also. The Finns have tried to help with air power, and now the Austrians have decided to attack with a full panzer army, perhaps instilling some backbone into Austria's allies.

One factor in Britain's favor is total air superiority, though the Poles have tried to minimize that by taking Alsfeld with phantom armies. In the past three turns, Britain has more than 8000 air kills, virtually all of them over Alsfeld. The minimal fighters of the eastern bloc, other than Poland, have been of no value.

We now face roughly 110 divisions, with fewer than 30, but Britain is used to standing alone. Hungary took the city of Prague on turn 20, and on turn 29, despite not facing a single division, has already taken the cities of Coburg and Kronach, yet he does not get my reference to McClellan. Poland took Leipzig and Berlin on turn 19, yet have advanced no further than Erfurt in the 10 turns since. Perhaps they were waiting for Baltic States to conquer northern Germany against virtually no opposition from Denmark?

Now we shall see what they are all made of. If their 4 to 1 advantage is enough.

No Irisch or Norwegian armies in sight to up the odds to 6:1?

With those odds they at least have the moral obligation to make it a quick end.

We triend to use our 2:1 against Kurassier to make it a quick end, but he woudn't cooperate. Nevertheless: simply advancing and coordinating attacks does wonders. It seems to me that your enemies are either very cautious, or they simply do not trust one another. Hmm. Interesting conclusion, that last one.

The black hole in the Libyan desert is consuming about 5000 air and arm for the last few turns and that is on a front that is more or less 1:1

(Tunesia/Algeria and Transjordan/Syriua each about 3,75 countries strong. T/A having superior Air production, T/S has more Arm.)

No lack of commitment over there.

Seems the enemy is very thorough. No rushing, you could lose armies that way. But their air forces seem a bit weak. So you have that advantage. Seems to be a sure win then! Go get them!

(Tunesia/Algeria and Transjordan/Syriua each about 3,75 countries strong. T/A having superior Air production, T/S has more Arm.)

I'm still totally flabbergasted about the amount of Air power Des Feeney has shown with his Algeria. Unbelievable. So happy that we decided to build a lot of fighters from the start.

I'm still totally flabbergasted about the amount of Air power Des Feeney has shown with his Algeria. Unbelievable. So happy that we decided to build a lot of fighters from the start.

Well, when you start the game with the largest population and add a whole other nation (top 15 pop) to it, you tend to have lots of ability to manufacture war machine parts and Des choose to make air factories. I'll bet he's using either American or British tech, correct? If he has British tech, the sheer range of those Manchester's & Halifax's can be intimidating when they are hitting you from 12 SMR and still doing more than 50% of their rated damage! Not to mention once they reach veteran and elite status what they are capable of at that range!

Good Luck, I am sure glad that they are fighting you and not me!

Well, when you start the game with the largest population and add a whole other nation (top 15 pop) to it, you tend to have lots of ability to manufacture war machine parts and Des choose to make air factories. I'll bet he's using either American or British tech, correct? If he has British tech, the sheer range of those Manchester's & Halifax's can be intimidating when they are hitting you from 12 SMR and still doing more than 50% of their rated damage! Not to mention once they reach veteran and elite status what they are capable of at that range!

Good Luck, I am sure glad that they are fighting you and not me!

Yeah, I know what manchesters can do, had a whole fleet of them in a dutch game way back (20 years ago). With lots more than 220 AIR factories (old rules, 20 air points per factory) I had several wings of them flying over the Med, doing their damage far overseas.

But I wonder if they are better, with the 10 points per factory rule, as having 440 Air factories is quite an accomplishment. Ju-88-a4 are really devastating, I don't believe there is a better TAS craft, up to the Russian TU-2 in turn 40. And of course some American fighters. As long as the range is no more than 10, Manchester's are way to costly. Germans have nice fighters too, by the way. Just the range, that part is shitty.

A very unbiased opinion of the battle lines, Im impressed. We who wear Jack Boots choose life.

Yeah, I know what manchesters can do, had a whole fleet of them in a dutch game way back (20 years ago). With lots more than 220 AIR factories (old rules, 20 air points per factory) I had several wings of them flying over the Med, doing their damage far overseas.

But I wonder if they are better, with the 10 points per factory rule, as having 440 Air factories is quite an accomplishment. Ju-88-a4 are really devastating, I don't believe there is a better TAS craft, up to the Russian TU-2 in turn 40. And of course some American fighters. As long as the range is no more than 10, Manchester's are way to costly. Germans have nice fighters too, by the way. Just the range, that part is shitty.

Aaaaah, a man who has not encountered the B-25H. Hmmm, maybe I can introduce you to them later on in this game? Just kidding......maybe. :cannon:

Anyway, the Manchester's are expensive, but worth it in the long run, especially if you have the population.

A very unbiased opinion of the battle lines, Im impressed. We who wear Jack Boots choose life.

Well, he gives little credit to his Danish allies who had to be dealt with second, after the Czechs. As GB says, it is inexorable.

Now, on to Moscow! :cannon:

Well, he gives little credit to his Danish allies who had to be dealt with second, after the Czechs. As GB says, it is inexorable.

I did not mean it to come off as insulting to the Danes certainly. Denmark has fought incredibly valiantly against huge odds. Because of the western powers attacking from the front, Denmark had to face Norway, Baltic States, Finland and Poland with only a little help from Czechoslovakia. The fact that he is still alive is testament to his intestinal fortitude.

However, because of all of his enemies, BS has had it easy in the north. If Finland and Norway were not at war with Denmark, I suspect the entire war would be different.

I did not mean it to come off as insulting to the Danes certainly. Denmark has fought incredibly valiantly against huge odds. Because of the western powers attacking from the front, Denmark had to face Norway, Baltic States, Finland and Poland with only a little help from Czechoslovakia. The fact that he is still alive is testament to his intestinal fortitude.

However, because of all of his enemies, BS has had it easy in the north. If Finland and Norway were not at war with Denmark, I suspect the entire war would be different.

Same could be said if Sweden had allies and did not drop. Finland has done very little in the west, as you know. Now that Central and South Russia have players, I have more pressing matters.

Those Spitfire VCs sting pretty hard. My Whitleys will have a proper escort next time you see them.

Nice discussion, Marklen X.

El Paso Pete

Same could be said if Sweden had allies and did not drop. Finland has done very little in the west, as you know. Now that Central and South Russia have players, I have more pressing matters.

Those Spitfire VCs sting pretty hard. My Whitleys will have a proper escort next time you see them.

Nice discussion, Marklen X.

El Paso Pete

Actually Pete, we see them every day when we look out our windows, strewn about the fields. We need to capture some soldiers to work as slave laborers and clear the wreckage, we can hardly walk down the street for the debris.

Actually Pete, we see them every day when we look out our windows, strewn about the fields. We need to capture some soldiers to work as slave laborers and clear the wreckage, we can hardly walk down the street for the debris.

If I could give some hints as what to do with the debris: Way south here in the desert, we've converted the many wings from the Junkers into highways through the desert. De rest of the debris we've converted into shelter for the homeless. All the guns that still work we've put onto the walls of our fortresses and the bombs that haven't gone of are ammunition for our own planes. With some modifications they can be used in our hampdens. I mean, we just have to drop the stuff and it goes BOOOOM when touchng the ground, how hard can that be.... All the dead, nearly dead and soon to be dead airplane crews, well, that is more of a problem. We still have more then enough food around and the desert doesn't seem to breed enough scavengers, so if anybody has any tips how to quickly dispose of those, we'd be much obliged.