Rolling Thunder Forums

Game 87

Guest Spongebob

Meanwhile the Persian Design Bureau is conducting a desperate search for the missing plans of the "Sovietsky Soyuz" class Battleship.

Instead of single layer glassbottom boats, the have upgraded their design not to two, but to three layers of reinforced glass. This will reduce leaking, thus making the ships somewhat faster due to less weight of water in these boats. At the same time, the glass will be clearer and mines will be easier to spot. The design includes 2 extra sailor with binoculars, to spot incoming bombers. That way, the crew might have time to jump overboard before the first bombs hit the glass bottom.

Other design flaws and lack of persian funds have made this project obsolete before it even started. One of the most important flaws were the plans for the 40,6 mm guns (never can get those numbers right, weird persian scientists). Next to that the dutch leader of this desert country never did understand that "cemented" armor plates had nothing to do with concrete, which he insisted had to be used for the hulls, around the beautifully designed glass bottoms.

Hey, Kurassier uses bombers. 9,1 inch of cemented deck armor is more than enough egainst dive bombers. And against his cruisers even those 16 inch guns will do fine. And we can always use the guns left on the last Marat class battleship still floating.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Meanwhile the Persian Design Bureau is conducting a desperate search for the missing plans of the "Sovietsky Soyuz" class Battleship.

Instead of single layer glassbottom boats, the have upgraded their design not to two, but to three layers of reinforced glass. This will reduce leaking, thus making the ships somewhat faster due to less weight of water in these boats. At the same time, the glass will be clearer and mines will be easier to spot. The design includes 2 extra sailor with binoculars, to spot incoming bombers. That way, the crew might have time to jump overboard before the first bombs hit the glass bottom.

Other design flaws and lack of persian funds have made this project obsolete before it even started. One of the most important flaws were the plans for the 40,6 mm guns (never can get those numbers right, weird persian scientists). Next to that the dutch leader of this desert country never did understand that "cemented" armor plates had nothing to do with concrete, which he insisted had to be used for the hulls, around the beautifully designed glass bottoms.

Hey, Kurassier uses bombers. 9,1 inch of cemented deck armor is more than enough egainst dive bombers. And against his cruisers even those 16 inch guns will do fine. And we can always use the guns left on the last Marat class battleship still floating.

Ah, but have you figured that 40,6 mm isn't the same as 16 inch? Or have the designers finally corrected that flaw?

Hey, I'll take my Pensacolas against your Marats any day.

Oh, and kudos on finally getting your fighters up in the air! We didn't even know you had any fighters...... Of course you know this is all just a fun filled sideshow. If UAE falls, then your warships are pretty much useless anyway. :rolleyes:

Hey, I'll take my Pensacolas against your Marats any day.

Oh, and kudos on finally getting your fighters up in the air! We didn't even know you had any fighters...... Of course you know this is all just a fun filled sideshow. If UAE falls, then your warships are pretty much useless anyway. :rolleyes:

I agree it was never more than a sideshow anyway. Maybe I will just repair my last Marat to fight one of your Pensacola's on its own.

My warships have not been of much use in this game.

I agree it was never more than a sideshow anyway. Maybe I will just repair my last Marat to fight one of your Pensacola's on its own.

Oh contraire! They have been very useful for target practice and increasing the moral level of my dive bombers! :rolleyes::cheers:

Those were spies? We thought they were just wandering gypsies in need of a nights shelter and a good meal. Those armies are really just commands, but we pretend they are big. Nobody need worry about those.

:rolleyes:

We shall soon find out what amount of arm points you moved to the continent. Hope you left enough on your island or some Marines might go sightseeing in London.

Von Manstein

Gasp! You mean now I must fear the Austrian Navy? I will detail a couple of old men in a rubber raft to defeat you. I will give them both a harpoon, so you will at least feel you were defeated by a superior force.

I am quite confident, the Homeguard, in concert with the RAF and RN will keep our shores quite safe for the time being. Long enough to get Monty looking for another position to move to.

Its not the Austrians you need to fear but the Hungarians. Our forces are now using Swiss conscripts from the "Old Country", soon Czech conscripts will bolster the ranks I just ahve to deal with a few partisans and bring order to the starving population. I fully intend to drive the British back to the shores they long to see. By then it will be the Hungarian Navy you will find patroling your shores.

Oh contraire! They have been very useful for target practice and increasing the moral level of my dive bombers! :cheers::cheers:

Increased morale does not help al lot, when lying on the bottom of the ocean floor, rotting away to nothing. Happy high morale dive bomber pilots, peacefully sleeping in their steel and canvas coffins..... :rolleyes:

Its not the Austrians you need to fear but the Hungarians. Our forces are now using Swiss conscripts from the "Old Country", soon Czech conscripts will bolster the ranks I just ahve to deal with a few partisans and bring order to the starving population. I fully intend to drive the British back to the shores they long to see. By then it will be the Hungarian Navy you will find patroling your shores.

I'll be happy to include your march to the northsea in the next update. But remember: Intentions don't count, I need rumors, substantiated by cold hard facts (world news).

Halfway through turn 20:

victory-map-diplomacy-87t20.png

Changes:

- As only LDB's and Statics are encountered, Libya is considered inactive.

- Hungary has been given its own color to better reflect its unique position in the political realities of this game.

- Northern Ireland is considered conquered, as is Spanish Morocco and Kuwayt.

Halfway through turn 20:

victory-map-diplomacy-87t20.png

Changes:

- As only LDB's and Statics are encountered, Libya is considered inactive.

- Hungary has been given its own color to better reflect its unique position in the political realities of this game.

- Northern Ireland is considered conquered, as is Spanish Morocco and Kuwayt.

Why thank you, I consider myself a uniting force for the betterment of Europe. Can someone point me in the direction of London

Ah, I see, so it's the Hungarian navy I must fear. In that case, I will take away their harpoons, make it an even fight. I look forward eagerlly to meeting the Hungarian super tanks on the battlefield.

Another turn almost gone by, tech period 21 is about to start.

The major event this turn must be the fall of some Czech cities to the Hungarian forces. After a declaration of war in turn 5, cities have finally fallen. Internal conflict, a change of leadership, all issues that had to be resolved before Hungary could really join in the events of this world, but finally they have. This joining seems to declare the end of one of the countries of the mighty WEA. Are the rumors true? Are there still Czech forces? Do they hide behind the forces of their allies? Hungary has declared that they won't stop before they reach the North Sea, and won't hesitate to cross the channel in search of their enemies. Next to the home cities, the Czech stronghold in Berlin has also been destroyed, to the polish agressors.

Other news: Canada seems bent on conquering Portugal in a record time. Will Spain have any chance, with half of Portugal gone? Will the British be able to turn the tide? France is also in this war, but he seems to have some small issues with Italy, who continues to gobble up cities in France as if they were pasta. More WEA losses, Denmark seems to be losing home cities to it's agressors. Will the WEA be able to stand against all these losses? Is the WEA crumbling already?

The world seems to have gone up in flames. But who are the agressors? Which countries seem to be so intent on war that they dare declare on anybody? Here is a list:

1) France, in dire straits at the moment, is number one, with 9 declarations of war

2) Austria, after liberating lil' ol' Suisse, has declared 7 more times, for a total of 8 wars.

3) Algeria, way down south, still manages to meddle in european affairs, with 7 declarations of war.

4) Syria seems to be the major agressor in the middle east, with 6 declarations.

4) Denmark, complaining that they are victims and attacked by everyone, has also declared 6 times, so don't feel sorry for the Danes.

6) Ireland, Italy and Persia are following close behind with 5 declarations of war.

Who are the victims, who are those everyone wants a piece of?

1) Great Brittain has been declared upon 8 times, but some of those declarations are from overseas. But even with 6 serious declarations GB is still going strong.

2) Chechoslovakia, the Czech are having a hard time with 7 wars declared on them.

2) Spain, who had an easy time with Portugal, now feels a cold steel sword descending on them. They also have 7 wars declared on them.

4) Germany, what happened their is widely known, 6 countries have declared on the Sponge (guess the other 33 would've declared also, given the chance)

5) Denmark, one of the great agressors, is also declared upon 5 times. Maybe we should feel (a bit) sorry for shadowy figures? Losing home cities can't be good for morale.

6) Libya, gone, as far as we know. Gulliblepratt, has he been true to his name? Has he fallen for promises of the African Alliance. 4 countries have thus far declared on Libya.

6) France, Agressor Number One, also has 4 wars declared on him. Sowing the seeds of war and now reaping the grim profits. Will he survive?

20 turns gone, 53 more to go. Where will this end? A quick overview of the biggest winners so far (some seem to be losing again):

1) Algeria. 10 cities conquered. Put into perspective: it is just one country with lots of 25+ cities, Morocco.

2) Trans Jordan, 8 cities conquered. Egypt has fallen and one city in Libya has been overrun.

3) Italy, 7 cities. Super Mario owns part of Suisse, 3 cities in France and 2 in Yugo, but those city are probably liberated, aren't they?

4) Syria, has galloped over the western part of the desert kingdom with 5 cities conquered

5) France, 5 cities in Lowlands and Germany. But with 3! home cities lost, the gain seems small

6) Spain, 5 cities in Portugal. Having lost 3! of those, and a home city, to the North American Alliance, makes this somewhat overrated.

Lucky for the world, the greatest winners seem to be at odds with each other. Des, other topics on the forum mention you to be one of the best. I'm ready to rumble!

Edited for the latest news!