Rolling Thunder Forums

Vic! 89

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So yeah, I took the deal,bought myself a few turns to move my troops north.

Indeed, that's what I said:

You took the deal with the full intent of breaking it.

And you didn't even try negotiating. You decided right there to backstab us. You're worse than Spongebob. And that's saying something.

So that's how you negotiate?

Hi, how you doing, glad to see your doing so well but if you don't do what I want I'm going to attack.oh, and you have til tomorrow to decide.

If that's the way you negotiate I'm amazed you have any allies in the game.

The spongebob thing really hurts. I was going to name my dog after you.

then let me bring you up to speed.

these are the key points to the email he sent to me. if you want I can forward the whole to you.

*We are happy to see Italy doing so well,but of course we can not allow you to take all of France. (we?! whose we? TAs?)

*We are happy to leave the prov. Nancy,Belfort,and Strasbourg,under the condition that we can take metz,sedan,troyes,paris,and the prov. north of that line. (France had quit at this point and hes not yet at war. I had already taken everything but the city of Strasbourg. thanks for letting me keep them.)

*As an alternative of course we can fight over all these fuel and coal prov. with the result we will probably end up loosing a lot of troops. I need an answer by tomorrow so I can call back the troops...

He bluffed, I've called him on it.

sorry for the inconvience.

Actually, he wasn't. His statement was fact, not bluff, as he would've put everything on top of your armies, as he wrote. And he needed a quick answer, to be able to change his turn. And he had already broken the deal with france and made his turn, without knowing where your troops were located. That info he got the day he sent you the message, which explains his rush to change his turn.

And yes, we know what was written, word for word. As Dags said, a nice stab in the back. Nice to leave the parts out where he also mentioned he wouldn't mind sharing resources.

you see it one way. I see it the other.

Tell you what. As a neutral bystander, send me all the emails and the last 3 to 4 turns of each alliance member and I'll determine who is at fault.

Here, here! Spoken like a true gentleman!

Well, I try, and I again repeat my offer, especially since things are getting nastier. :wub:

A nation as small as Lowlands can never allow a player who's allegiance is at best unknown right next to his border, for the very reason you've shown. So we needed a deal, and fast, or it would be war. If you didn't like the deal, or the wording of it, you should have played it like a man and turned it down.
So I understand that you tried to make a deal with Italy, knowing full well it would mean the end of the Balanced War between the Sandanavian and middle European blocks?! :wub:

Shocking. :thumbsup:

Cheers!

Zarathustra

Hungary #89

A nation as small as Lowlands can never allow a player who's allegiance is at best unknown right next to his border, for the very reason you've shown. So we needed a deal, and fast, or it would be war. If you didn't like the deal, or the wording of it, you should have played it like a man and turned it down.
So I understand that you tried to make a deal with Italy, knowing full well it would mean the end of the Balanced War between the Sandanavian and middle European blocks?! :wub:

Cheers!

Zarathustra

Hungary #89

There is no definition of what constitutes a "balanced war". But a quick calculation shouws:

Iceland- Lowlands - Norway- Sweden - Finland - N.russia - Baltic states - Denmark and parts of France, Germany, Poland and C. Russia. = about 9 countries

Against

Greece - Rumania - Bulgaria - Yugoslavia - Hungary - Czechoslovakia - Austria - Great Britain and parts of Germany, Poland, C. Russia = about 9 countries.

You can critisize this in a lot of ways:

You can discuss the role of GB, fact is, he is at war with us, he really tries to be a pain in the ass, and 5 Queen mary's sunk is quite a substantial loss.

You can add the US to our side. Fact is, it is of very limited value and only TA'd to N. Russia.

You can also add the interference of the middle east. We have no idea about the intensity of that "diversion", but it is indeed upsetting the balance. Through no intention of us.

Now the DW of Italy came as a complete surprise to Lowlands. Italy is one of the strongest countries still playing. The move has the potential to whipe out our entire western flank within a few turns. Lowlands may have been threatening, he may have been naive, his planning against Austria may have been wishfull thinking, fact is that he did not have any plans against you after the deal.

I do not consider you worse than Spongebob. For me, this is just a case of short fuses, irritability, and a classic stab in the back.

Only spongebogb can stab someone in the back and only then find out it's the wrong player.

It is all in the game. There is no obligation to be a nice person. Stabs in the back are a valid way of playing and the arguments against it must be brought to the battlefield. I have played a lot of Diplomacy in my gaming career and saw - I think- more versions of stabbing in the back than you can imagine.

But there is also something called reputation. And there is always a next game.

Cheers!

Zarathustra

Hungary #89

There is no definition of what constitutes a "balanced war". But a quick calculation shouws:

Iceland- Lowlands - Norway- Sweden - Finland - N.russia - Baltic states - Denmark and parts of France, Germany, Poland and C. Russia. = about 9 countries

Against

Greece - Rumania - Bulgaria - Yugoslavia - Hungary - Czechoslovakia - Austria - Great Britain and parts of Germany, Poland, C. Russia = about 9 countries.

You can critisize this in a lot of ways:

You can discuss the role of GB, fact is, he is at war with us, he really tries to be a pain in the ass, and 5 Queen mary's sunk is quite a substantial loss.

You can add the US to our side. Fact is, it is of very limited value and only TA'd to N. Russia.

You can also add the interference of the middle east. We have no idea about the intensity of that "diversion", but it is indeed upsetting the balance. Through no intention of us.

Now the DW of Italy came as a complete surprise to Lowlands. Italy is one of the strongest countries still playing. The move has the potential to whipe out our entire western flank within a few turns. Lowlands may have been threatening, he may have been naive, his planning against Austria may have been wishfull thinking, fact is that he did not have any plans against you after the deal.

I do not consider you worse than Spongebob. For me, this is just a case of short fuses, irritability, and a classic stab in the back.

Only spongebogb can stab someone in the back and only then find out it's the wrong player.

It is all in the game. There is no obligation to be a nice person. Stabs in the back are a valid way of playing and the arguments against it must be brought to the battlefield. I have played a lot of Diplomacy in my gaming career and saw - I think- more versions of stabbing in the back than you can imagine.

But there is also something called reputation. And there is always a next game.

My reputation will be just fine. At least 5 of the countries your fighting call me friend and trust that I'll do what I say I'll do.

Of course they've never threatened me to get what they want.

Shortly before all this start I had been in contact with Austria to see how things were going. He asked then that if thing were winding down with France how about some help with Lowlands. I said no there were other things I could be doing and I didn't want to get caught up in it til i had to.

Y'all make this out to be some grand conspiracy and that simply never happened.

I offered him the same agreement that I had with Austria and the rest of those guys.If you leave me alone I'll leave you alone.

He obviously didn't like those terms.

Maybe next time actually be friendly with someone you need to be friends with.

Guys,

It's a game. No reason to kill eachother IRL over some DW...

Von Manstein

Guys,

Von Manstein

I always wonder why you and Yugo didn't go west. Italy sure does have a good thing with his eastern front secured.

They had to save my ass...and all the pretty girls at xPrague :thumbsup:

That's what friends are for :wub:

Guys,

Von Manstein

indeed, but i know some people that are really really upset with what happened.

and there is only so much you can do in this game.

in the end, communication is the key.

if someone never plays the game again due to what has happened, who wins in the end?