Rolling Thunder Forums

Game 91

Hamish

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometimes things in Victory! make no sense. Why would Austria continue to attack south into Italy when Hungary and Czechoslovakia are conquering his entire country? It makes one wonder.

Well, that could be explained if he doesn't think defending his country would be worth his effort. Now what could make him think that?

Sometimes things in Victory! make no sense. Why would Austria continue to attack south into Italy when Hungary and Czechoslovakia are conquering his entire country? It makes one wonder.

It's the wine! :python:

Sometimes things in Victory! make no sense. Why would Austria continue to attack south into Italy when Hungary and Czechoslovakia are conquering his entire country? It makes one wonder

doesn't make me wonder at all...we had the same thing going on in 88 with some of the same people...even more suspicious is Austria was picked up after the game was started and everyone knew their country...84....88...91....coincidence?...more like a pattern :python:

And turn 5 has endeth... (and turn 6 already begun, i know, i'm late...)

Heavy fighting along the front as both the entire Austrian army as well as bulk of the Yugoslav armor tried to make their way into Italian territory. However, as the Austrian airforce was decimated by the brave pilots of Home defence Fighter Command protecting the battle-hardened troops and the attacks were all repulsed by endurance and sheer tenacity of the Venice Legion and the Expeditionary Adriatic Army, Italian High Command sees no reason to adjust the current threat factor of GREEN.

VENICE, from our celebrity reporter at VLHQ

Special lauding of Emperor Mickey went out, yet again, to the Venice Legion which was just hosting a party for some marine cadets when a deluge of mechanized units poured out of their Bolzano stronghold into the plains north of Venice. The attackers numbered more than double the Legion's regiments and were well-equipped for plains warfare. Still, the veterans of the Legion showed them how real men fight, pushing themself to the brink of annihilation to prevent the cowardly attackers from reaching the city. Denied making headway, the Austrians broke away from the battle and retreated back to their refuge. This attack was all the more bewildering as at the very same time their entire homeland is being swept by Hungarian hordes. What man would rather conquer a vineyard than defend his family, his homeland? To entice them to go home, Italian Bomber Command paid the Austrian army a visit to remind them they are not welcome on Italian soil and WILL pay for every turn spent there. Observers speculate this may be as much a message to the Swiss as to the Austrians: "stay away from Italy!".

ZAGREB, from our embedded reporter in the EAA

On the east front, the EAA repulsed a half-hearted attack of the Yugoslavian armored corps. As they got badly mauled, they were ordered to retreat in an orderly fashion to the nearest friendly city. As they neared xZagreb on their way gack to Trieste, they came under fire from a few local militia mobs after which the commander of the EAA decided to interpret his orders to mean making xZagreb the nearest friendly city. The battle was one-sided and quickly over, after which the troops got a well-deserved rest.

ROME, from our diplomatic reporter

It seems things have smoothed out between the Swiss and the Italian Foreign Ministry. Where at first there seemed to be frantic negotiations and threat of war, the latest visits of the swiss ambassador seem to have a more leisurely air around them. The regular visits to and fro suggest a more casual relationship that may one day turn into a bond that may see the Swiss be delivered from their apparently great future food problems. Huge silos are said to be built to provide for the needy Swiss nationals and their content offered as gesture of good will.

New map:

victory-map-diplomacy-91t05.png

As Always, just based on recent world events so if you want to comment, please do so.

I am slightly color blind, but it sure looks like Yugoslavia, Austria, Greece and Switzerland are the same color as Hungary, Czechoslovakia, France and Germany. Perhaps they are, it is certainly hard to tell from their actions.

Something else that doesn't make sense: why would Canada elect to use GERMAN tech? I mean, sure the various SS divisions are great--ANY armor against the US right now is great--and the Ju-88 is the greatest thing since sliced bread throughout the whole war...but, when you're done conquering the US, where ya gonna go? NOWHERE! Oh, wait...the US declared war, and he has opened a can of American whoopass. Well, take off, eh!

Something else that doesn't make sense: why would Canada elect to use GERMAN tech? I mean, sure the various SS divisions are great--ANY armor against the US right now is great--and the Ju-88 is the greatest thing since sliced bread throughout the whole war...but, when you're done conquering the US, where ya gonna go? NOWHERE! Oh, wait...the US declared war, and he has opened a can of American whoopass. Well, take off, eh!

I would say that once he has finished the USA off he will sail across the void and land at a friendly port with lots of muscle. Its an interesting idea but first he must deal with the Americans, will be very interesting to see how the two techs fair against each other without interfearance.

I would say that once he has finished the USA off he will sail across the void and land at a friendly port with lots of muscle. Its an interesting idea but first he must deal with the Americans, will be very interesting to see how the two techs fair against each other without interfearance.

He may try...but he will rapidly see that the fuel consumption of AK's makes it far more difficult than with QM's.

Jared

He may try...but he will rapidly see that the fuel consumption of AK's makes it far more difficult than with QM's.

Jared

With 6 turns it takes to reach Iceland or 8/9 turns to reach Europe... with 11 MCR, isn't rounding down a bitch in a 3MCR-zone ocean? Do they get anything better later on?

New map:

As Always, just based on recent world events so if you want to comment, please do so.

I am slightly color blind, but it sure looks like Yugoslavia, Austria, Greece and Switzerland are the same color as Hungary, Czechoslovakia, France and Germany. Perhaps they are, it is certainly hard to tell from their actions.

All darker colours around central Europe. See, we need bright YELLOW back!!!! :python:

New map:

All darker colours around central Europe. See, we need bright YELLOW back!!!! :python:

victory-map-diplomacy-91t06.png

It will not be the last color scheme. But most games that I have followed tend to become less complicated after 20 turns or so.

• 2 weeks later...