Official: Turns Are In Thread

EternusIV

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

'Tis time to call in Sheriff Russ to see if we're gonna have a hanging tonight or not.

What's the word gunslinger , Pistol Pete gonna slip in under cover of darkness or will he string'em up at sunrise?

Hope you got to see Ureka this week. 111 ain't that bad for an IQ. Isn't Mr Bush suppose to be in the 80's or 90's. ;):):)

'Tis time to call in Sheriff Russ to see if we're gonna have a hanging tonight or not.

What's the word gunslinger , Pistol Pete gonna slip in under cover of darkness or will he string'em up at sunrise?

Hope you got to see Ureka this week. 111 ain't that bad for an IQ. Isn't Mr Bush suppose to be in the 80's or 90's. ;);):)

Well, I think everyone playing this game probably thought of two questions when Zoeys 157 score was shown on her test.

1) Which IQ scale were they using

2) Gee, I could beat that easily.

Am I right? You were all thinking this? :)

Hi Guys,

Talked with Pete - things are moving along but slowly. It looks like it will not be tonight - so look for it sometime tomorrow (probably early afternoon unless things pick up and Pete makes more progress tonight than he is projecting).

Russ

Hope you got to see Ureka this week. 111 ain't that bad for an IQ. Isn't Mr Bush suppose to be in the 80's or 90's. :nuke:;);)

Well, I think everyone playing this game probably thought of two questions when Zoeys 157 score was shown on her test.

1) Which IQ scale were they using

2) Gee, I could beat that easily.

Am I right? You were all thinking this? :)

I am certainly willing to concede that you are at least very close to being right, (imho). :nuke:

1) I always thought IQ was the quotient of one's intellectual age to one's chronilogical age expressed as a percentage. Thus, Sheriff Carter is intellectually more advanced than a lot more that half the people his age. Were his IQ an even 100, then he would indeed be average. As a US Marshall an IQ 111 was probably looked on as at least above average. As the sheriff of Eureka (I spelled it wrong before!) it would be ok for a normal, but certainly below Dr Stark's respect level. The Eureka scale is certainly not the IQ scale most of us use.

2) Maybe not so easily. Remember, we are talking about intellegence not being smart. The whole premise of Eureka is the more intellegent they are the dumber they act. Zoey has had no reason to act smart. She was intellegent enough to get her father's attention and commitment. Smart gets you sent to a boarding school with no daddie's love to win. Rebellious will get you right where you want to be.

I like the story of Einstein helping a neighbor's daughter with her math work because she shared her jelly beans. (hi there acclaimed genious, would you like a piece of my candy?)

A Rhodes Scholar, who was intellegent enough to run a state and a nation, but not smart enough to refrain from leaving seman stains on the dress of a white house aide who was close enought to his to his own daughters age as make him look like a sex offender.

A multi-degreed health care professional who thinks its normal to sit at home on Fridays and and wait for his stupid turns to arrive.

A game master who is described by his long time partner as being the brains of the outfit, but often does not show his intellegence by telling his cash cows when its time line up for the milking machine. That seems more demented than smart.

No, WKE (our furry little friend) confusing intelligent and smart can easily leaving leave you smarting more than you would like. (was that a pun or a bad joke, maybe both? :) )

To clarify more simply, Yeah, I liked your response. Too much thinking almost always either makes your my head hurt or makes one more aware of what he does not know than what he does know.

Yes, my head does hurt now that you asked :nuke::nuke::nuke:

Actually if you looking at the traditional measure of "intelligence", the tests are centered at 100 (mean, median, mode of a bell curve). Relating this back to the bell curve then gives you a reference to what percent of the population has greater/less than problem solving skills with regards to the questions asked.

This is calculated by Standard Deviations from the norm (100) which on the Stanford-Benia (sp) test is SD-15. Zoey's score of 157 would be almost 4 Stand Deviations above the norm (57/15). Following the bell curve you would find that 4 SD means that less than 1% of the population would score higher than her on the test. The cut off point for "genius" is a raw score 140. So she scores well above the mark

Her fathers score of 111 is not bad and by a guestimate he would be roughly about 75% percentile.

Now....what all this old style testing does not show is the "Emotional Intelligence" of Zoey, Jack and the rest of the town. Intelligence has now been split into what could be considered book learning (old style testing) and ability to handle various emotions in various social situations. More recent studies are showing its not the book learning that succeeds but rather Emotional Intelligence.

Good Cheer,

In which scale question, I was refering to which standard IQ scale / model was used ... Stanford-Binet (ratio based) or Wechsler (Gaussian or Bell curve based). Depending on the model used, a 157 would make her either a genius .. or an exceptionally gifted student for her age.

As to the "Rhodes Scholar, who was intellegent enough to run a state and a nation, but not smart enough to refrain from leaving seman stains on the dress of a white house aide who was close enough to his to his own daughters age as make him look like a sex offender."

Here is a good example of the differing types of intelligence. The man in question does have a strong ability in reading the moods and feelings of others and crowds, and he knows how to use that to his advantage. That type of empathic intelligence (for lack of a better term) would not be similar to intelligence as per an standard IQ tests. And as Rhodes Scholar, one might assume he would test at least in the 130-140 range on a the curve. But nothing has been published to confirm any type of score (as much as various groups may fake the numbers based on other items). His actions in the oval office could be evidence his moral intelligence (telling right from wrong) is very low, and/or his emotional intelligence is about average or low (as he let it override intelligence and common sense).

Overall, Eureka is full of highly intelligent people. But (as my Grandma used to say) they lack the common sense god gave a housefly. Hence they keep screwing up, big time, and the Norm Sheriff keeps saving everything by applying a little common sense (street smarts? Wisdom?)

In which scale question, I was refering to which standard IQ scale / model was used ... Stanford-Binet (ratio based) or Wechsler (Gaussian or Bell curve based). Depending on the model used, a 157 would make her either a genius .. or an exceptionally gifted student for her age.

As to the "Rhodes Scholar, who was intellegent enough to run a state and a nation, but not smart enough to refrain from leaving seman stains on the dress of a white house aide who was close enough to his to his own daughters age as make him look like a sex offender."

Here is a good example of the differing types of intelligence. The man in question does have a strong ability in reading the moods and feelings of others and crowds, and he knows how to use that to his advantage. That type of empathic intelligence (for lack of a better term) would not be similar to intelligence as per an standard IQ tests. And as Rhodes Scholar, one might assume he would test at least in the 130-140 range on a the curve. But nothing has been published to confirm any type of score (as much as various groups may fake the numbers based on other items). His actions in the oval office could be evidence his moral intelligence (telling right from wrong) is very low, and/or his emotional intelligence is about average or low (as he let it override intelligence and common sense).

Overall, Eureka is full of highly intelligent people. But (as my Grandma used to say) they lack the common sense god gave a housefly. Hence they keep screwing up, big time, and the Norm Sheriff keeps saving everything by applying a little common sense (street smarts? Wisdom?)

Yeah, but us norm types can all watch Eureka and cheer for Sheriff Russ to watch over his flock and keep one eye on his deputy. Tonight is the night!

• 2 weeks later...

Turns are running, but I have to take one of my sons to a doctor's appointment. Letting the program grind through a massive batlte with many, many thousands of junk screens while I do that. Turns could come out late tonight, or tomorrow morning, depending on how many more such battles trigger later in the day. I'll admit.....I can't wait until more empires figure out how to get their fleets to ignore the 1000-ton screens and get to the meat of the battle instead. Takes forever to run these things :huh: