Rolling Thunder Forums

Official: Turns Are In Thread

EternusIV

PDFs starting to go out (3:00 AM Denver time).

Database files will probably not go out until Monday at this point due to mail server issues arising from Pete's move. Everything should be squared away next cycle - in fact, we are hoping to see a marked improvement in the sending time next cycle thanks to an ISP change :unsure:

Russ

P.S.

Russ-portion of the RTG workload would get done during a Bronco game, I'd wager

Bronco games get almost the same attention as I'd give to to a UFO landing in the backyard...not quite, but almost.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
Pete,

Do you think there will be any delays for this coming turn cycle or will it be later tonight?

Mark

Later tonight, turns running now, but I'm finally settled in after the move. I'm going to test <gulp> the new mail server tonight and with a bit of luck the turns themselve will go out very, very fast once they are actually printed and ready to go. No more 7 hours of sending <tentacles crossed>.

I'd also very much like to run turns earlier than on Fridays, and though I've got kids to deal with on Thursdays I'd still like to get the results out before Friday. Will do what I can.

Phone line still out, working on convincing the phone company to get things figured out. Ha ha, good one there. At least I can answer emails now :P

Question, though. Is the PDF not compressed enough? It's thrown a spanner in our file structure to have 2 identically named ZIPs come in at the same time.

The sender uses standard zip technology to compress both files. The subject of the emails for the pdf's and data files is different, so as long as you don't auto-download your email it should be ok.

But why did it change? The PDFs were sent raw (unZIPped) up until now. Now I have to unzip it to a neutral location and then rename it as I move it into my RotE folder. Before I could specify a new name as I pulled it down from the server and put it right where it needed to be.

But why did it change? The PDFs were sent raw (unZIPped) up until now. Now I have to unzip it to a neutral location and then rename it as I move it into my RotE folder. Before I could specify a new name as I pulled it down from the server and put it right where it needed to be.

The only change was that I can send them all from one location instead of having to break it up (Russ sending one set while I sent another). The zip code was in there to speed your downloads.

The problem with unzipped pdf's is that many virus programs go berserk and won't allow the attachment. Data files are much worse as they are often treated as applications.

I could preclude zipping (it's not a major issue either way from this end) but would be concerned over the ability of most players to receive their results :drunk: