EternusIV

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Adding some new features to this turn results cycle, and wanted to get them done before starting the turns. Results tomorrow, hard to say on exact time. I'll try to get them out in the morning again, but this looks to be a big turn.

Testing the following right now:

• Show excess Power in pop groups that have positive Power left after production
  • Show industrial output as it decreases during production
  • Allow CONV as a legal Convoy Route order (this would allow switching to another Convoy Route or pulling a fleet off of Convoy Route duty entirely when it reaches a CONV, <fleet #>, NONE order. Whether the CONV works or not (failure is generally caused by assignment to an illegally named new Convoy Route), the fleet will halt all execution of its current Convoy Route
  • Trigger new space combat results starting with this turn. Bracketed reduced damage based on deploc not active yet, but the rest looks solid
  • Significantly improved Deep Core Surveyor success chances
  • Automation of all ICE results (I had to intervene in some cases)

[*]Allow CONV as a legal Convoy Route order (this would allow switching to another Convoy Route or pulling a fleet off of Convoy Route duty entirely when it reaches a CONV, <fleet #>, NONE order. Whether the CONV works or not (failure is generally caused by assignment to an illegally named new Convoy Route), the fleet will halt all execution of its current Convoy Route

One way convoy routes! :(

Thanks! :(

[*]Allow CONV as a legal Convoy Route order (this would allow switching to another Convoy Route or pulling a fleet off of Convoy Route duty entirely when it reaches a CONV, <fleet #>, NONE order.  Whether the CONV works or not (failure is generally caused by assignment to an illegally named new Convoy Route), the fleet will halt all execution of its current Convoy Route

Is there some reason why all orders involving a fleet cannot be legal CONV orders. I'm particularly disappointed that SS, EXPL, ORB and SENS orders cannot be convoyed, but I am sure there are lots of others.

Is there some reason why all orders involving a fleet cannot be legal CONV orders. I'm particularly disappointed that SS, EXPL, ORB and SENS orders cannot be convoyed, but I am sure there are lots of others.

Convoy Routes are meant for order that need to be repeated over and over....there's isn't much need to repeatedly SS a star system. EXPL has XEXPL, which is more efficient that moving a fleet around getting in the occasional EXPL (if EXPL were allowed on Convoy Routes). Many players leave a solid exploration fleet on XEXPL duty at a world, drop a beacon there to create free warehouses for an XEXPL / XOC combo, and then use a convoy route to run around and pick stuff up. This yields pretty good EXPL efficiency and saves a ton of orders.

Convoy Routes are meant for order that need to be repeated over and over....there's isn't much need to repeatedly SS a star system.  EXPL has XEXPL, which is more efficient that moving a fleet around getting in the occasional EXPL (if EXPL were allowed on Convoy Routes).  Many players leave a solid exploration fleet on XEXPL duty at a world, drop a beacon there to create free warehouses for an XEXPL / XOC combo, and then use a convoy route to run around and pick stuff up.  This yields pretty good EXPL efficiency and saves a ton of orders.

Can you state categorically no warppoint can ever be added to a star? If there is the slightlest possibility it could happen then I need to repeat the SS order regularly in important systems and what better way to do it then using convoy orders to a fleet guarding the system. OK a standing order would also do, but I don't think that is possible either, besides surely a standing order needs to add an order to the game, whereas a convoy route just re-uses existing order code.

XEXPL orders are good, and I do use them like you say, but I reckon using convoy orders would be much more efficient. For instance, if I upgrade the ships in the exploring fleet from 2 to 4 APs, I need to write more XEXPL and XOC orders, if it were possible with a convoy route I would need do nothing more. If I move a second fleet to the same world to also explore it, if convoy explores were possible I could assign an already existing route to the new fleet. To stop a fleet exploring temporarily, it would be just a simple case of unassigning the route which would preserve the orders should I wish to re-start it in the future. With standing orders you must delete all the orders to clear them out, and re-write them all again to restart.

The above are cases were I have recently thought 'I sure wish I could put this in a convoy route'. No doubt others will arise as the game progresses. I don't think I could possibly predict all the possibilities which is why I was commenting on what looked to me like a curiously arbitrary restriction on what could go into convoy routes :(

Heh, we can't automate everything, or we'd go out of business :( I agree with your points, but there are some practical considerations at stake.

Encouraging everybody to set up automated SS routes would flood the printouts and eat up a huge amount of computer time on an issue (spontaneous warp point creation?) that might not even come to pass. Regarding EXPL's, they were never meant to be used as a full-blown production scheme, but that's what some players use them for. If I had to do it over, I'm not sure I'd have even allowed the XEXPL order in. As it stands, XEXPL's work fine, and I'm not inclined to make the EXPL-production method even more efficient than it already is.

It should be noted that once standing orders are loaded in, the master orders table increases massively in size, and that doesn't count the incredible number of Convoy Routes running at no additional order cost. Sure, it takes some orders to set these things up, but once in place they chug along in a happy, automated fashion :( There are far, far more free orders being processed each cycle than issued ones. I think the game is pretty darned efficient from that standpoint.

Big turn, lots of action and new stuff, still running. I don't expect it to make it out early this time :(

Will keep it chugging along - turns will probably get to the print-and-send stage later on tonight. Sorry about the delay....but the new combat reports do look pretty cool :(