Rolling Thunder Forums

Official: Turns Are In Thread

EternusIV

So Pete, how long did it take you to come up with the one liner results for this combat?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

** NAVAL BATTLE REPORT **

----- SHAMESH [ N (Deep Red) 3 VI ] [single Star] - Warp Point 89278 -----

** Imperial Navy Report: Fleet Order of Battle **

Napatha Solarum Imperium # 3535 [Ebon Field; Crimson Gauntlet Seizes Argent Galaxy]

Optic Terminus Formation [ROE: Y] *Column Attack* (Fleet Tonnage: 6,000) ...

Napatha Solarum Imperium # 3535 [Ebon Field; Crimson Gauntlet Seizes Argent Galaxy]

Optic Terminus Formation [ROE: Y] *Column Attack* (Fleet Tonnage: 12,000) ...

Concordium Page 18 of 90 Friday, August 27, 2004 3833

Concordium # 3833 [A Three-Dimensional Representation Of A Tesseract With The Symbol For Infinity Glowing In The Central

Cube]

2105th Nest [ROE: Q] *Total Defense* (Fleet Tonnage: 12,000) ...

** Side 1 Ships **

-------------------------------------------------- DepLoc 9 ------------------------------------------------------------

**LIGHT DAMAGE** CO Ork N (Corvette - 3,000 tons) [integrity: 5,400] [shields: 600] (Green, Timid)

400 Fuel Tankage, 4 Light Thermal Lance, 2 Mk I Force Shield, 1 Mk I Nuclear Engine, 1 Mk I Nuclear Jump Drive

4 Mk I Standard Missile, 1 Mk II Computer System, 1 Mk II Short Range Sensor, 400 Titanium Composite Armor

Missile: 800, Plasma: 1,056

Maneuverability: 0.100, Sensors: 0.166

**CRIPPLED** CO Ork N (Corvette - 3,000 tons) [integrity: 5,400] [shields: 600] (Green, Timid)

**HEAVY DAMAGE** CO Ork N (Corvette - 3,000 tons) [integrity: 5,400] [shields: 600] (Green, Timid)

**MINOR DAMAGE** CO Ork N (Corvette - 3,000 tons) [integrity: 5,400] [shields: 600] (Green, Timid)

**LIGHT DAMAGE** CO Ork N (Corvette - 3,000 tons) [integrity: 5,400] [shields: 600] (Green, Timid)

**MEDIUM DAMAGE** CO Ork N (Corvette - 3,000 tons) [integrity: 5,400] [shields: 600] (Green, Timid)

** Side 2 Ships **

-------------------------------------------------- DepLoc 8 ------------------------------------------------------------

**DESTROYED** [1st] CO Wasp II (Corvette - 4,000 tons) [integrity: 6,400] [shields: 1,200] (Green, Timid)

400 Fuel Tankage, 10 Laser CIDS, 3 Light P-Cannon, 3 Mk I Computer System, 4 Mk I Force Shield

6 Mk I Fusion Engine, 2 Mk I Medium Range Sensor, 1 Mk I Nuclear Jump Drive, 400 Titanium Composite Armor

Plasma: 3,300

Maneuverability: 1.500, Point Defense: 0.125, Sensors: 0.250

**DESTROYED** [2nd] CO Wasp II (Corvette - 4,000 tons) [integrity: 6,400] [shields: 1,200] (Green, Timid)

**DESTROYED** [3rd] CO Wasp II (Corvette - 4,000 tons) [integrity: 6,400] [shields: 1,200] (Green, Timid)

Corvette racing gets ugly in the Shamesh system when Concordium and NSI ships spot each other.

Cute ..... :alien2:

Maybe I am just not getting it, But those combat results! I can not even tell what ship is on which side, and what ships on what side were destroyed?

Lucky for me I know my ship names, and can look at the fleet to see what is still there. But can it not be made plainer, what ships and how many are on each side at start and end of battle?

:drunk:

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Maybe I am just not getting it, But those combat results! I can not even tell what ship is on which side, and what ships on what side were destroyed?

Lucky for me I know my ship names, and can look at the fleet to see what is still there. But can it not be made plainer, what ships and how many are on each side at start and end of battle?

I think the formatting on the actual turnsheet would make this seem a lot clearer. Text doesn't copy off the pdf's into email well either.

Here is was six vs. three. Six survived with varying levels of damage while the three were destroyed. The "Side 1 Ships" and "Side 2 Ships" helps too. Though it would be nice to see the Empire name listed rather than "Side 1/Side 2".

-LX

Well, there's not much more formatting than what you see. Mostly a few spacing lines here and there. Plus some centering of headers like Side 1 or Side 2. It does help break down the start so it is easier to see who is on what side. AND, there is an Alien Fleet Sighting message just before the battle. That also helps.

I have a copy of the report in MS Word that looks the same. Anyone who wants to see that to see if it helps them, give a holler and I'll send it.

Actually we've looked at it a few times and it does start to make sense.....

First you get a listing of the fleets involved in the battle, but the fleet ID#s aren't shown. In this case NSI has 2 fleets with exactly the same name, one of 2 x CO and the other of 4...

WKE has just the one fleet.

Then the fleets are split into 2 sides (as Pete has explained). In this case there are only two empires involved so they split that way. In the future, whilst Battle Reports may be shared, if multiple empires are involved, only the parties involved will know who's ships belong to whom...

We then see the result of the battle. The detail is much more useful now and we expect that it's just the Bridge rating and the effect of range we're not seeing (which Uncle Pete is promising for next time).

Whilst the Concordium ships look 'stronger', I expect it's those details that are missing that would explain the result. The bridge rating of the NSI ships is probably higher and we expect the reduced effect of both sides plasma weapons due to range is the missing factor.

In the end, we suspect that the NSI missiles won the day, but it took a while. The Concordium CIDS and Speed let them last long enough to spread damage right across the enemy ships, but that damage was caused slowly by using short-range weapons at long-range and that both sides gained defensive benefits by being so far back in the DepLocs.....

IMHO

Chief Warmaster to Ur-Lord Tedric

PS May I suggest we move this, and related, to another thread.....?

[snip]

** Side 1 Ships **

[snip]

** Side 2 Ships **

[snip]

The crucial bit your eye isn't spotting (because it's well hidden) are the un-highlighted lines that say '** side 1 ships **' and '** side 2 ships **'

• 2 weeks later...

I mailed Pete a question last night around 2 AM Chicago time, and got back an answer before 3 AM. So he is busy doing something. My guess is he was probably playing somethig like Diablo II or Sims 2. I mean, no one in their right mind would be up at 3 in the morning working on their SN turn, let alone the game itself. Right? :lol:

Hi Guys,

My apologies but I'm running behind on SN receipts (Pete does the heavy lifting on SN - I pull the SN turns to help out).

I'll be catching up later today and into this evening until I'm back on schedule. Today is the deadline and any slack I may have had is used up so...look for your email receipts soon :D

I've got a few more things to finish up with Victory! then I'll shift to SN email.

Again, my apologies for the anxiety and stress.

Russ

Hi Guys,

My apologies but I'm running behind on SN receipts (Pete does the heavy lifting on SN - I pull the SN turns to help out).

I'll be catching up later today and into this evening until I'm back on schedule. Today is the deadline and any slack I may have had is used up so...look for your email receipts soon B)

I've got a few more things to finish up with Victory! then I'll shift to SN email.

Again, my apologies for the anxiety and stress.

Russ

Wait until you get the entire Octus Imperium's bill for Mk III Valium Stress Manager Morale Drug!

Octus the Neuroticus

:D