Rolling Thunder Forums

Official: Turns Are In Thread

EternusIV

It's almost certainly going to be Saturday for results.  A number of incredibly large battles involving <insert your homeworld name here> are slowing things down - everything looks right, but it's running slowly  :cheers:

All those with the potential for large battles raise your hand (claw, flipper, leaf, whatever)...

...starting with me :)

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So Pete,

Just how long does a large battle actually take to run?  ARe we talking hours for a single battle or somthing more like 20-30 minutes?

:)

Depends on the battle - very large battles are fairly rare (typically with large numbers of screens, for instance) and generally don't repeat, since screen-type ships often die most horribly and are thus difficult to re-use. However, this cycle saw several gigantic battles and to top it off I couldn't continue the run for a few hours tonight (event with my son), so lost some time there. These battles happened to take several hours to run though - a very long time indeed. I can put in code to optimize the speed, but it's rare enough not to be a general problem at this point.

Turns definitely slated to go out some time mid to late Saturday at this stage.

So Pete,

Just how long does a large battle actually take to run?  ARe we talking hours for a single battle or somthing more like 20-30 minutes?

:cheers:

Depends on the battle - very large battles are fairly rare (typically with large numbers of screens, for instance) and generally don't repeat, since screen-type ships often die most horribly and are thus difficult to re-use. However, this cycle saw several gigantic battles and to top it off I couldn't continue the run for a few hours tonight (event with my son), so lost some time there. These battles happened to take several hours to run though - a very long time indeed. I can put in code to optimize the speed, but it's rare enough not to be a general problem at this point.

Hopefully the event with your son is typical parent-child stuff and nothing serious. :thumbsup:

-SK :)

It's almost certainly going to be Saturday for results.  A number of incredibly large battles involving <insert your homeworld name here> are slowing things down - everything looks right, but it's running slowly  :python:

My Empire is not at war and so will not be involved in any battles (at least, I hope not!), but I have 4 tech's at "Nearly Completed", and they have been for a couple of game turns now, so I'm expecting something of interest in the upcoming game turn report.

My wife will testify to my PGTRS (Pre Game Turn Report Syndrome) :woohoo: every two weeks, but it's getting worse now as I'm starting to gnaw my own leg off ... . B):ranting::ranting:

So Pete,

:woohoo:

As people continue to build large fleets of screenies, I can just imagine this future posting from Pete (your screen goes all wavy as we move into the future ....)

Sorry folks but the turns will be out early next week. Its a pretty big universe and lots of large battles going on. We've done what we can to speed things up with code changes. But when you've got 20,000 ship fleets shooting at each other and every ship gets a chance to fire each round, well, there's only so much coding can do. We've also got the program running on a series of computers in parallel. But we can't add any more as the heat output is getting dangerously close to setting off the fire alarms in the building. We are looking to upgrade the air conditioning by putting in a unit rated for 200,000 BTU's (like the one's you see on the tops of malls). But getting the permits for the flatbed truck and cranes to go through some yards to get here are proving to be a pain. If anyone happens to know where we can get a used water cooled supercomputer (or 2), send us a line as we may be interested.

(Wavy lines as the present comes back into focus ....). Yep, the future looks interesting. :python:

So Pete,

:woohoo:

As people continue to build large fleets of screenies, I can just imagine this future posting from Pete (your screen goes all wavy as we move into the future ....)

Sorry folks but the turns will be out early next week. Its a pretty big universe and lots of large battles going on. We've done what we can to speed things up with code changes. But when you've got 20,000 ship fleets shooting at each other and every ship gets a chance to fire each round, well, there's only so much coding can do. We've also got the program running on a series of computers in parallel. But we can't add any more as the heat output is getting dangerously close to setting off the fire alarms in the building. We are looking to upgrade the air conditioning by putting in a unit rated for 200,000 BTU's (like the one's you see on the tops of malls). But getting the permits for the flatbed truck and cranes to go through some yards to get here are proving to be a pain. If anyone happens to know where we can get a used water cooled supercomputer (or 2), send us a line as we may be interested.

(Wavy lines as the present comes back into focus ....). Yep, the future looks interesting. :python:

Uh sure WKE. I think you have gone beyond leg gnawing that this point. B)

Uh sure WKE. I think you have gone beyond leg gnawing that this point. :ranting:

Sorry, but I'm not making much sense about your reference. But, all I can think about is one of those cartoons where character 1 tries to appease character 2. "It was a Joke boy, a funny. Nothin serious about it lad. One of those things you take to the far ends for a laugh. We're friend aren't we boy. Sit right here and relax. Here, have a drink. :woohoo: Maybe one of these fine cigars to. Now, you just sit there and relax and laugh all about this, while I go russel up some food in the kitchen".

At which point, after character 1 leaves and character 2 starts to relax, the cigar explodes. :python:

Ain't I a stinker. B)